Karen Moser, 'Sketch', 2017
Kitty Kamp, 'Party in the Dark', 2017
Amber Vanluffelen, 2017
Mathieu Verhaeghe, installation view ‘gewoon doen’, AIP, Hoboken, 2017, © Mathieu Verhaeghe
Polien Boons, 'Beetle dust', 2017
Curated by Övül Ö. Durmusoglu
Participating artists Polien Boons, Kitty Kamp, Karen Moser, Amber Vanluffelen, Mathieu Verhaeghe
Organized by Studio Start with the financial support of the city of Antwerp
in collaboration with AIR Antwerpen, H ART magazine and Kunsthal Extra City.
The group show ‘Brief Flashes Against A World’ is a part of the third STRT Kit, a project operating as an international development program for emerging visual artists based in Antwerp.
An international jury selected the five emerging visual artists out of an open call. During one year they worked from a collective studio and presentation space, met international curators, artists and organizers and participated in a project week in Jerusalem.
'Brief Flashes Against A World' is a training ground of togetherness for Polien Boons, Kitty Kamp, Karen Moser, Amber Vanluffelen and Mathieu Verhaeghe, a way to show how they understand their practice and where their work will head to after a year of STRT Kit residency.Documentation
- 'Brief Flashes Against A World (Languages of the Future)' by Övül Ö. Durmusoglu
- The title for the exhibition comes from the unruly thinker, poet, and writer Jean Genet's final book 'Prisoner of Love'.
- Eduard Glissant, 'For Opacity' - to understand opacity as a potentiality in visual imagination when all image and image technologies are data for ideologies.
Interviews with the artists
- Interview Polien Boons, H ART #170 (Dutch)
- Interview Kitty Kamp, H ART #173 (Dutch)
- Interview Karen Moser, H ART #169 (Dutch)
- Interview Amber Vanluffelen, H ART #171 (Dutch)
- Interview Mathieu Verhaeghe, H ART #172 (Dutch)
Location Kunsthal Extra City - Antwerpen-Berchem, Eikelstraat 25-31, 2600 Antwerpen